Adhesion bonding is a surface joining technique utilized for non-metallic materials. In the plastic production industries, adhesive bonding is one of the most widely utilized joining techniques, as different types of plastic materials may have temperature limitations. These limitations make them incompatible with welding or soldering techniques. Adhesive joining basically refers to gluing two or more plastic components by using the surface bonding technique. However, adhesive bonding of plastic is not only limited to applying and setting the glue, it requires pre-gluing treatments like gluing, and curing. Plastic adhesion bonding also includes the application of different epoxies, temperature, pressure, and adhesion agents. Being one of the highly-reputed contract plastic manufacturers, Ehren-Haus offers high-quality adhesive plastic bonding services.
We pay attention to material analysis, proper selection of adhesives, surface priming, adhesive application, and curing for efficient, quick, and highly durable adhesion plastic bonding.
If you aim to source adhesion bonding services of top-notch industry-standards, please get in touch with our team today. In case of any queries about our services, our experts will be happy to assist.
We employ the adhesive plastic adhesion bonding technique for assembling the individually manufactured components. The following are the activities we are capable of performing during our adhesive bonding for plastic services.
Adhesive plastic bonding requires particular pre-bonding activities. The following pre-bonding activities we perform for adhesion plastic bonding.
• Material Surface Analysis: Before applying the adhesive, the bonding surfaces must be analyzed. During plastic production, the plastic surfaces are exposed to roughness, hot-holes, air bubbles formation on the walls, and thermal/mechanical/chemical stresses on the surface, etc. This is why we analyze the surfaces for surface defects.
• Surface Priming: Preparation of the surfaces to be joined together is essential in adhesion bonding. Therefore, we opt for surface cleaning and priming for pre-bonding surface preparations. Under these pre-bonding treatments, we clean the plastic surface to remove dirt, oil, chemicals, or resins. After cleaning, the coat of primer is applied according to the need of material. For spot adhesion, a primer to promote the adhesion is applied.
• Selection of Adhesive: There are different types of adhesives available for plastic bonding. However, adhesives being chemically active substances may react with the chemicals and resins utilized during plastic processing. Therefore, to prevent unwanted chemical reactions and surface damage during the adhesion process we select the adhesives based on the material analysis. We are capable of selecting a non-reactive yet efficient bonding adhesive for almost all types of plastic materials.
In this process, the application of adhesive glue is done. Application of adhesive may require pre-heating of the surface and application of pressure after gluing. We opt for preheating for the quick flow of glue on the surface and pressure to enhance adhesive absorption into the surfaces.
Once the adhesive glue is applied a few post-adhesion activities are performed. They are:
• Hardening or Curing: The adhesion glues require hardening or curing in order to accomplish cohesion between the glue molecules and plastic surfaces. We opt for reflow heating for the curing of the adhesion glue. This enhances the durability of adhesive bonding.
• Cleaning: Since adhesion is a thermochemical process, it may require post bonding surface cleaning to remove residual chemical traces and excess glue. We opt for chemical-free cleaning of the adhesion bonded surfaces before packaging.
The benefits of utilizing adhesive bonding for plastic assemblies are listed below.
The load is applied to the plastic substrate evenly, which contributes to uniform stress distribution. Also, the adhesive force applied by the adhesive molecules to the plastic surface remains uniform across the substrate. This ensures bulge-free gluing.
Adhesive bonding is a nearly weightless gluing method. Unlike welding or soldering, the adhesive glues do not consist of bulky molecular weight, which is why there is negligible weight addition of the overall assembly.
Adhesive glues can sustain mechanical shocks and vibrations, therefore, even during robust application of the plastic products, the delamination between two glued surfaces is prevented.
Adhesive bonding does not require any specific equipment. It can be automated with robotic systems for a continuous cycle of plastic bonding, however, it can be done manually too.
Adhesive bonding can be utilized for a wide range of plastic substrates. It can be used for gluing similar or dissimilar plastic materials together.
The plastic adhesives suffer negligible shrinkage during the curing and packaging of products. Therefore, gluing efficiency remains sustainable in adhesive bonding.
Ehren-Haus is one of the most chosen service providers for adhesive plastic bonding services due to the following reasons.
Ehren-Haus has a dedicated industrial facility of 28, 169 sq. ft. for plastic production, packaging, and shipping services.
Having more than 35 years of experience in plastic manufacturing and secondary services like adhesive bonding, surface polishing, priming, etc, our products are assured of high quality according to industrial standards.
Our well-equipped manufacturing facility allows us to offer production, adhesion, and post-production activities like packaging, shipment, etc from our in-house resources.